Last Updated on April 14, 2021 by Michael
Do you know you cannot add tap water to your aquarium? It is good for people but is not the same for your aquatic pets. There is a need for the best water softener for an aquarium if you are fond of your fish and want them to live longer.
Is Water Softener Safe for Aquarium ?
The need for a water softener has become a necessity. The public officials for tap water in charge are not aware of the water usage from the tap. You have to take care of the safety of water for your fish and also for your consumption. Water officials add chemicals to ensure it is safe for people to drink. They include chloramines or chlorine to ensure the drinking water is free from nasty bacteria. But, the same chemicals are harmful to the fish.
The water pipes contain more lead in some places, and it dissolves in alkaline water. The water experts add heavy metals to raise water pH levels. Unfortunately, they are dangerous for fish. The most important aspect for fish maintenance is the water inside the tank. It means using aquarium water softeners. It is time to solve the problems by using any of these 5 best water softeners for aquariums.
Benefits of Water Conditioners
There are many benefits to adding water conditioners for your family and fish:
- Water softeners are inexpensive to install and are simple to use.
- It helps in making the aquarium water absolutely safe for freshwater plants and fish. It removes the chloramines and ammonia and does not impact the water’s pH level.
- The aquarium water softeners also assist the fishes by supporting with protective slime coating.
- Seachem Prime
- API Tap Water Conditioner
- Tetra AquaSafe PLUS
- Aqueon Tap Water Conditioner
- Hagen Fluval Water Conditioner
1. Seachem Prime
Starting with Seachem Prime shows, you have come to the right choice. It is the absolute choice as an aquarium water softener, as the treatment fits tap water of 5000 gallons with a 500-ml container. The water softener removes chloramines and chlorine from water. It detoxifies nitrate and nitrite, converts ammonia making it non-toxic, such that it works efficiently.
- Do not over-activate.
- pH stays safe
- Safe for plants and water animals
The water softener is best for aquariums. It is not acidic and renders in the water the heavy metals. It keeps the protein skimmers normal, encourages fish to regenerate their slime coat naturally. For immediate and permanent removal of chlorine and chloramines, this water softener is the best for aquariums. It ensures a safe environment for the beta, tetra, and other fish.
2. API Tap Water Conditioner
API Tap water conditioner is a single-ounce treatment that is extremely concentrated. Its design is to neutralize chloramines and to remove chlorine. It detoxifies heavy metals and keeps aquatic life safe.
- Useful for saltwater and freshwater tanks
- Aquatic life safety assurance
- Highly concentrated formula
The API brand instantly neutralizes and is an added advantage. The chemicals may damage your fish, cause gill destruction, tissue irritation, and death. As the formula is strong, using a little each time is enough. You can use it when you add or change the water. Following the instructions helps you use API properly and to ensure your fish are active and healthy.
3. Tetra AquaSafe PLUS
Tetra AquaSafe Plus is a suitable alternative working as the right treatment for aquarium. People concerned about their aquatic pet’s safety from tap water will be happy to use Tetra AquaSafe Plus. It is a safe brand working as the right water softener. It dechlorinates in seconds that your fish will be happy to swim. The product neutralizes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy materials. It protects fish as there is a slime coat protective barrier avoiding fish cuts. It also helps to heal wounds faster.
- Stress-reducing slime features
- Adds minerals and vitamins essential for the fish.
- Suitable for fresh and marine water fish.
Tetra AquaSafe Plus is an advanced formula providing water perfectly clear. It means you can be free from aquarium maintenance and feel proud that it always looks the best. Understanding the dosage is no rocket science. With this water softener, the dosage is simple to know, and you can use it effectively. There are biopolymers in this product to develop filter bacteria. It makes the water healthier.
4. Aqueon Tap Water Conditioner
Aqueon tap water conditioner is a prominent fish water conditioner or softener that has everything. It ensures the water is no trouble for the inhabitants of the tank. This unit helps to remove carbon and works to neutralize chloramines. It detoxifies ammonia. It is ideal to use in any new or old tank. However, adhering to the bottle directions is the best for your aquatic pets.
- Ability to stabilize water immediately
- Satisfactory outcomes.
- Promotes the regeneration of the natural slime coat of the fish.
Aqueon tap water conditioner is appropriate for any tank size. It is affordable and is available in distinct quantities. Applying within the tank, this water softener for any aquarium ensures its capability. It works excellently, facilitating the ease to use operation. It works beautifully, there is no odor, and it stays colorless. The tag is pocket-friendly and it is the best supplement for webby, stressed, and transported fish.
5. Hagen Fluval Water Conditioner
Hagen Fluval water conditioner executes a good job. It eliminates harmful molecules instantly from the aquarium water. This is a high-quality water softener that also involves the maintenance of a storage tank. It allows the moving of the storage tank conjointly. It is fascinating to know the water conditioner has sterling nitrate removers that you can be sure of a clean freshwater tank.
- No harmful molecules
- Very appropriate for water and fresh tanks
- Safeguard the delicate membrane of the fish.
If you wish to ensure no harmful threats in the aquarium, consider the Hagen Fluval Water conditioner. This unit is best in terms of change for the tank dwellers and keeps you free from damage. It also consumes an additional dose and offers the benefit of checking the water using a test strip. The softener may be a bit on the higher side as it also has a fashionable tag.
What to Look For When Buying Water Softener for an Aquarium
A water softener for an aquarium makes it softer, helping to remove calcium, magnesium, and other minerals from the hard water. There are certain things to look out for when you consider buying a water softener for your aquatic pets:
Equipment and fish matter type
Water softeners work in aquariums suitable for specific fish. It depends on the aquarium softener-making company that sells it ideal to the water type. Eventually, if you wish to set up an aquarium home, there is a need for a water softener. You must try to get the right information about the equipment you buy from the aquarium water softener manufacturer.
Explore and research to your best so that you buy the specific equipment suitable for the fish type you own. Each aquarium has different kinds of fish. As all fish needs are not the same, the water softener compatibility requires attention when buying a water softener. The aquariums vary as per the fish needs. For instance, a goldfish’s needs are not the same as a betta fish, and they also differ in the food they eat. The fish lifespan also is different. Thus ensure the right aquariums and the right equipment or water softener is set.
There is an important call, and it is if you have salt water or fresh water fish. Water softeners for the freshwater fish may be better and may cause harm to saltwater fish. Thus, taking care of your aquatic pet’s demands is a must for any pet lover.
Worries & Cautions
- A water softener for the aquarium decreases the amount of chemicals in the water. But there are some chemicals essential for fish survival. Mostly all the water softeners replace in the water the calcium content with sodium content. Yet, the problem is that certain fish does not suit the water having high sodium content. If so, you must not avoid water softeners for the safety of your aquatic pets.
- Having high sodium may not be an issue for some fish. Such fish may enjoy the absence of magnesium or calcium as they get to live long. Thus, a water softener for an aquarium is to be purchased, giving a lot of thought and acquiring the right information. Many fish keep requiring the minerals forming limescale, while the aquarium water softeners may remove the minerals forming limescale. If so, you must give a double thought so that it does not harm your fish.
When it is about buying the best aquarium water softener, it is about buying a performance model. You must not pick any water softeners for an aquarium that has too many additives. It may be a fad or a fashionable tag but may fail in offering the deliver on performance.
The model of water softener for the aquarium you buy should be an exemplary performance. It should ensure cleaning water easily. The solution should be an impressive concentration to cut the nitrates and nitrites down from the aquarium water.
Look for Aquarium Water Softener That Works
- The water softener is important for cleaning the water and making it fish safe. You must pay attention to the water softener working and understand the chemistry of it.
- The water softener in the aquarium should begin neutralizing the chlorine. It should do through the ionic bond formation and render the chlorine has harmless components in the water. Thus, it should ensure aquatic life safety. The chemical process should happen smoothly, even as it eliminates heavy metals and chloramines.
- Many times, you can place a water softener to the aquarium, but know the first time when to add after setting the aquarium. Ascertain the water is ready in a proper way to receive more fish incoming. Create a safe environment for the fish to survive, even if you consider a water change. Be careful if you have to use tap water.
- The water softener manufacturer instructions are very important to follow. Make sure to use the exact amount as per the tank size. There will be instructions on the dosage to use; adhere to it for your aquatic pets’ safety.. Remember to use frugally. If it offers benefits, it does not mean you must use it daily on many times a day.
Using a water softener for an aquarium is inevitable. Certainly, you cannot use tap water for the aquarium directly and anticipate the fish will survive. It is a must to understand the water softeners and make use of the aquarium’s best products. Each model ensures good performance in water treatment. You may choose any of the above-mentioned water softeners for the aquarium as per your preference.
The water softener usage should be along with the specific fish needs. Research before deciding the water softeners; it helps you and your fish to survive. You need not be an expert to buy a water softener. Using these tips, you can give your fishes a hassle-free journey.